The Sumter Fire Department from time to time finds the need to hire additional firefighters to fill existing slots as well as new slots to handle the demands of our growing community and increased fire related hazards. There are minimum requirements to be met before applying for this fulfilling career as a Sumter Firefighter.
To be considered for testing and interviewing an applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be in good health and able to pass an OSHA physical
- Must be able to pass a S.L.E.D. Background check
- Must be able to perform under extreme conditions
The following documents must be submitted with application:
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Driver’s license
- A certified copy of driving record from each state you have held a driver’s license (10 year record)
- Copy of military discharge form – DD214 (if applicable)
- Proof of name change (if applicable)
- Copy of Naturalization papers (if applicable)
- Copy of Social Security Card
- A certified criminal history report from each state you have lived in
The above documents and application will be reviewed by the Recruitment Officer. Qualified candidates will be contacted as positions become available. Individuals can apply for employment with the Sumter Fire Department by going to the Employment section of the City’s website and downloading an application here or by clicking on the button below (PDF).
Please feel free to call or come by and speak with Battalion Chief J. Duggan and Lt. Will Glover in the Training/Recruitment Department if you have any questions about the application or recruitment process.